Training Staff for Forklift Operation Essentials
If you’ve ever trained anyone to do anything, spare a thought for the experts who train forklift operators. This is a very demanding job, and requires a unique mix of expertise and extreme patience.
Training of forklift operators is conducted to strict qualification standards. Forklift operation can be very dangerous, and the range of skills to be taught is extensive. We’re going to give you a few tips about best practice training.
- It is illegal for an unlicensed person to operate a forklift in Australia.
- Licenses are granted after assessment by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) certifies operator competencies.
- Licenses are granted for specific classes of forklift only.
Basic Forklift Operations Training
- Formal training in forklift operation: Basic training for forklift operators is a combination of theoretical and practical training involving actual operation of forklifts. This is very highly structured training, involving supervised operations of forklifts and face-to-face trainee support and guidance.
- Certification of competency: This is a formal process, in which trainees must prove their competence and deliver performance to the required standards. A certificate of competence is mandatory in order for trainees to apply for a license.
- Safety training: This training is mandatory, and trainees must demonstrate competence in all safety procedures and operations to be certified as competent.
Training Issues for Forklift Businesses
The big issues for businesses are:
- Skills training needs: Most forklift businesses need a good skill base in-house all the time to cover operational needs. The main training issue, in fact, is fitting in your training schedules with working hours. That’s now a lot easier, thanks to more flexible options for training times, including day and evening courses.
- Cost of training: Another unavoidable issue is cost. Prices vary, but most RTOs price very competitively. It’s worth shopping around for your RTO, because you may find a good training organisation close and handy to your business, especially in Sydney or other big cities.
- Licence classes: Do you need training in a single class of forklift, or more than one? If so, look for an RTO advertising a full spread of licences in your class range.
- Proper coverage for possible injuries, damage, etc. This shouldn’t be an issue. All training organisations are required to have appropriate insurance coverage; this should be comprehensive and clearly defined in your training agreement.
It’s strongly recommended to consult with forklift industry trade professionals about your choices of RTOs. Your local city forklift distribution and hire service will know of at least a few RTOs in your area and help you to find the right training organisation for your needs.
Need to Buy or Hire Forklifts in Sydney?
Aussie Forklift Sales offer a full range of top quality forklifts for sale and hire in Sydney, including finance options. Call us on (02) 9679 7241 or contact us online and ask us for any forklift repair and maintenance services you need.